Monday, September 17, 2012

Quando a Roma


…do as the Romans do, and so I did.  I found a flight from Dusseldorf to Rome for $75 (plus fees) through RyanAir.  If you can handle all of the advertisements and sales pitches that are presented by the flight crew from their many different sponsors (food, smokes, and cologne) then this price is very do able. I just put my headphones on and it was like watching the commercials on TV on Mute.
As the Romans, I ended up walking around the magnificent ancient ruins taking my own personal tour through the ages of time. I was able to book a hotel in Ciampino, from the hotel I would take a shuttle to the train station, and then ride the train into Termini. Once there I jumped on a “Hop on Hop off” tour bus, which allowed me to get off at any stop and walk around this amazing city. When I was done I was able to grab another bus and go on to the next stop. Getting around was not that difficult once I figured out the train and shuttle buses.  Also, most Europeans are taught English as a second language so I was able to find many that could help me navigate through the city.  Even when ordering anything it was as simple as pointing at something and paying.


My first stop and my favorite was the Coliseum, I spent half a day walking around the outside and inside of this 2000 year old ruin.  It was so cool to finally see it in real life; I have always enjoyed the many different movies that this Coliseum has been featured in.  No matter how much movie magic they use to display this artifact it is still better in its natural glory.  You do have to use your imagination though, almost all of the marble that covered the entire floor and ceilings have been destroyed, all of the seating has disappeared, and the entire platform is gone.  You are able to see all of the underground tunnels and cells that caged both criminals and animals.  I never thought of it as a Movie Theater, but that is exactly what it was in those days, and it didn’t even cost a dime to go to an event. 
I ended my first day walking around the Vatican, was told I could spend a good half day there, but not for me.  Spent about an hour to walk through St. Peters Cathedral, and was able to see the changing of the guards at the gate.
I spent the next 3 days walking through all of the different ruins that had been built over the last 2000 years. Would jump on the bus, get off at a stop and walk around for awhile, grab another bus and hit another stop.  It was amazing to see 2000 year old buildings with 1000 year old buildings right next to it, many Cathedrals different statues and fountains.  During my “Walking Rome” I got lost trying to find the Trevi Fountain, I had asked a few people and either I was given bad directions or I couldn’t follow the directions. I decided to take a break and grab something to eat.  Afterwards, I’m glad to report that I finally found the Trevi Fountain, it was the last thing on my list I knew I needed to see, mainly cause many of you would have asked if I had, it turned out to be very cool and impressive.


I have never been a fan of Gelato, but I thought I would give it another try, seeing how I was actually in Rome.  Not my favorite, but the Italian ice cream was very enjoyable, so I stuck with that. I tried the famous Panini, and also Margarita pizza, both were very delicious, but I still prefer In-n-Out or a meat lovers pizza.
I spent the last day in the shopping district; I went down a street and up the next looking at all the different shops.  When I would pass by a bakery or café I would walk in, point and try something new, continue walking and stop for something else to try.  I did buy a few Italian silk ties and a couple of T-shirts.
When in Rome…do as the Romans, I had a great time, and would suggest you add this to your Bucket List, but don’t wait until you are too old to walk the “Museum” of Rome.

Enjoy the slide shows, onto the next adventure!




1 comment:

Jessica Marie said...

The pictures are great. I've always wanted to go to Rome but never have.