Thursday, February 24, 2011

Uncle Cliff

Recently my sister decided that while her husband was deployed for 15 months in the Air Force, she would move her family (6 kids) to my mom's house in Idaho. I was able to spend a couple of weeks in at my moms around Christmas time to help her prepare for this huge change in her life. At the end of January my sister and her family all moved in from Lousianna. They had a moving company do all of the work, except it was hard for me to just watch, so I chipped in when it came to unloading the truck. My sister had decided to move only the things she needed into mom's house and the rest would go to storage. So using my uncle's truck and horse trailer, we hauled everything else to storage. We ended up having to move twice, because the first storage unit was too small for all of their extra stuff.

After the first week was over, I decided to stay another week and make sure they were all settled in (as much as could be). My sister and I dropped off her husband at the airport, and then decided to stop at Costco. That was a mistake, my sister had been talking to my mom about building a swing set in the newly landscaped backyard. Of course they had a swing set on display at Costco and my sister asked "would you be able to build that for us?" I thought for a minute and replied "If you want to get it now, I can start on it Monday, thinking she wasn't ready to buy it yet. So we ended up buying the swing set later that afternoon, and I thought to myself it should only take a day or two. When all was said and done, it took four and a half days to complete. The slide itself came in 30 pieces and took the last 6 hours to complete.

During the build, my nephew would be outside helping me, and my other nephews and nieces would watch from inside, anxiously waiting for it to be completed. Now I said earlier it was a mistake to stop at Costco, but after seeing all of my nephews and nieces enjoying their new play set, it was well worth my time to be "Uncle Cliff"

No comments: