Monday, April 7, 2008

“Chadders” not “In-N-Out”


I would not consider myself a connoisseur of “In-N-Out Burgers,” although I have made a few road trips recently to enjoy such a burger.

Last February ‘07 my cousin Trent and I decided to head down to a wedding in Turlock, CA. As we started our journey from Caldwell, ID we headed southwest through Sparks, NV. We spotted an “In-N-Out”; I made a comment to my cousin that we needed to eat at an “In-N-Out” at least once during our weekend trip. I then jokingly explained that I would be okay if that was all we ate during our trip. He immediately replied “Sounds good to me”. And so it was, we decided that we were not going to eat anything else but “In-N-Out Burgers.” We spent the night in Nevada and headed out the next morning to meet up with my sister and her family in Sacramento. As we were driving down I-80 we stopped in Roseville, CA where we could enjoy our first “In-N-Out Burger” around 1:00. I of course had their “Double Double”. Nothing tastes better than 2 fresh hamburger patties and fresh cut fries. After lunch we continued our journey into Sacramento, once at my sister’s we decided to go eat at, you guessed it “In and Out.” Ethan and Becki grabbed some food from McDonald’s for the kids then met us in Elk Grove, for some great “In-N-Out” burgers. On our way back from the wedding we spotted another “In-N-Out”, we thought for a minute of going to the Outback that was right next door. (You know I love the Outback Steakhouse) I quickly reverted back to our original plan explaining that I can eat at an Outback anytime, so we went to “In-N-Out”. We ate at “In-N-Out” for all 3 meals on Saturday as well. As we headed back home we made one last stop for “In-N-Out” in Sparks, NV. Knowing that was our last chance for a great burger and fry.

The following September my cousin Trent and I were craving “In-N-Out” The closest one was in Sparks, NV five and half hours away. We decided to make a road trip; we left our place around 7:00, called our Uncle Jerry to see if he wanted to go with us and proceeded to Sparks. We arrived in Sparks around 2:00, had a Double Double again and then turned around and headed back home. I bought a cheap cooler from 7-11 and put in a couple of burgers and fries to take home. When we got home around 7:00 I pulled out the cooler, the hamburgers were still surprisingly good, how ever the fries did not make it.

A couple weekends later I was in California for the BYU – UCLA football game, as soon as I got to my hotel, I asked the hotel manager where the closest “In-N-Out” would be, he told me music to my ears “2 blocks north. Needless to say I ate there for all 3 meals while staying in California that weekend.

Recently I made a journey to “Chadders” in American Fork, UT. I have heard of the similarities between them and “In-N-Out”, so I decided to try “Chadders” for myself. “Chadders” has a great burger and great fries, but I would not ever consider them close to being like “In-N-Out”, except for the familiar look of their building, as seen in the picture I posted. I’ll continue to make trips to “In-N-Out” any time I am around California, Nevada, and Arizona.

4 comments:

Evan and Kathy said...

OK, Cliff. So on our way home from visiting my folks in Modesto, CA last Thanksgiving, we drove through Sparks, NV. Lo and behold, the In-n-Out sign seemed to glow a little brighter than all the rest. Being In-n-Out virgins, we decided to try it out. I'll have to say the burgers were OK, but the fries left us a little disappointed. Kathy actually said it was one of the worst fast food experiences she's ever had. Sorry pal, I guess to each their own. I didn't get the "double-double", so maybe that's where I went wrong. I'd be willing to try again, but I wouldn't drive too far out of the way for it.

Cheers,
Evan

Marcus said...

Dude, you never told me that you did that!! I thought I would check your blog to see what was going on, and I found this little treat. I can see In-n-Out for 2 of 3 meals...but not all three. They don't have a breakfast menu!

Anyway, you are crazy man..but that is why I love you. Party on.

Amy said...

Cliff! I found you! This is Amy Riley from Cali. I was blog stalking and found yours! How the heck are you? It great to read up on your life. I am at mcandrewsfam.blogspot.com Check us out. Email me someday soon.

Linda said...

Uh...did you test your cholesterol levels and body fat after this little toxification fest? tsk..tsk...I do not approve.